Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Lance Armstrong & Steve "Crocodile Hunter" Irwin

“With every step, I further define my capacity for living.”
-Lance Armstrong-
Internet news headlines collected millions of clicks after posting the details of the sudden death of an educator, adventurer, pop culture icon, husband, and father. Steve "Crocodile Hunter" Irwin certainly had a great deal to share with the world, and in my mind, I'm thankful for Lance Armstrong's words to help me sum up the life of a memorable man.
What becomes so attractive about the lives of people like Steve Irwin and Lance Armstrong? For one, they introduced many of us to the never-ending spirit of risk-taking and surviving. Equally important, they allowed us to watch them doing what they love to do.
In order to recruit and retain the top students in the U.S. and around the globe, American universities are being forced to create the most plush learning environments in the world. Resort-like recreational facilities, technologically-enhanced residence halls, and multi-million dollar upgrades and renovations decorate today's college campuses, and I advise everyone who's preparing to leave Michigan one day. First, don't set your first job criteria to match every luxury of our Maize and Blue Wonderland. There are plenty of great employers who aren't always wrapped in familiar packaging. Second, doing what you love will push you to take risks and give you the presence of mind to survive.
I work in a relatively small organization. Small organizations are flexible, and employees are expected to be flexible. My job doesn't carry the familiar ring of consultant, analyst, engineer, or sales/marketing associate, but it does carry the likeness of a teacher, researcher, and change manager. On a day-to-day basis, I use e-mail, phones, Excel, Microsoft Access, web technology, a 2006-2007 "At-A-Glance" Appointment Book, one black pen, one red pen, and neatly lined paper to create learning & development programs for over 3,000 students and build networking programs aimed at 15,000 Austin Area alumni.
I design and train leadership teams (giving me a close connection to people) and I'm setting a vision for a small organization to have a big impact on a metropolitan area that is expected to grow to almost 3 million people by 2030.
I'm the type of person who thinks about the applications and consequences of leadership everyday. When I moved to Austin without a job in July 2002, I made a commitment to connect with what I love. I'm not nearly as animated as Steve Irwin, but I will practice and evaluate leadership until I die. Go Blue from Texas!